Many people confuse the symptoms of bowel cancer and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), leading them to believe that a different disease is present than it is. However, the differences between the illnesses are clear when a person who may be affected by one or both understands the signs.
Cancer of the colon (large intestine), or rectum (back passage)-is any type of cancer that affects the colon or rectum. It grows very slowly (10 years) before metastasis becomes apparent, and typically begins as benign, non-cancerous growths (polyps) on the bowel wall.
(Most polyps are non-cancerous, but one type, a “adenoma,” can become cancerous) ([malignant] when left undetected, its cells can multiply to kind a tumor within the bowel which causes ache and bleeding).
Symptoms of bowel cancer might include:
- Abdominal pains (gripping, but normally not persistent).
- Anal bleeding and ache – unfastened stool (typically containing blood [sometimes constipation – feeling the need to strain when not necessary]).
- A right-hand-sided lump within the back-passage or stomach.
- Sensation of being bloated.
It is possible for cancer cells to travel through the bowel wall and back passage and enter the bloodstream or lymph node system, thus contaminating other organs in the body (the liver and lungs being probably the most common [metastasis]).
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is a digestive disorder that affects a large percentage of the population (estimated to be around 15%); however, because it is such a delicate (embarrassing) illness, it is little discussed. The symptoms of IBS are comparable to those of bowel cancer.
Symptoms of IBS might include:
- Chronic stomach pains.
- Major disturbances inside the functioning means of the bowel (diarrhea at a moments discover [up to 3-time a day] and typically preceded by constipation), persistent constipation 3-times per week [sometimes alternating between the two], and mucus within the stool).
- Anxiety or depression.
- Back aches.
- Heart fluttering (palpitations – sensations of coronary heart beat-skips).
- Insomnia (issues attending to sleep).
- Sexual issues (pains during intercourse or a lowered sexual desire).
- Unpleasant tastes within the mouth.
- Urinary issues (a frequent or pressing must urinate, bother beginning to urinate, or bother emptying the bladder).
IBS entails the malfunction of how the intestinal system works (a practical disorder that doesn’t present in any seen disease course of or tissue damage [it is more of a bowel interference]).
Note: Symptoms given for both bowel cancer and IBS embrace attainable secondary signs – and the place both sicknesses might affect a person in different methods.